William John Stapleton, Jr., M.D. [Plaster]

Dublin Core

Title

William John Stapleton, Jr., M.D. [Plaster]

Subject

Figure sculpture, American--20th century

Description

WILLIAM JOHN STAPLETON, JR., M.D., 1970
Plaster original

Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Marshall M. Fredericks
1991.096

William John Stapleton, Jr. (1876-197?- ) was a family physician, a professor of Medical Jurisprudence and a Historian. Stapleton's bronze plaque was commissioned by Wayne State University and is mounted on Minnesota sunset red granite. It hangs in the Stapleton Reading Room of the Shiffman Medical Library at Wayne State University. The building was dedicated September 24, 1970 and the plaque was dedicated April 18, 1973.

Creator

Fredericks, Marshall M., 1908-1998

Date

1970

Rights

Use of this image requires permission from the Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum

Type

Sculpture

Coverage

University Center (Mich.)

Sculpture Item Type Metadata

Physical Dimensions

23" dia

Materials

Plaster

Catalog Number

1991.096

Object Location

Main Exhibit Gallery

Provenance

1989 March, 22 Gift to Museum and SVSU Board of Control

Notes

From Jennifer Lentz (Collection Documentation Intern 1991-1992)
From a Memo dated March 25, 1992
RE: Conversation with Mr. Fredericks about the history of several works in the gallery

"William John Stapleton, Jr., M.D.-- Molly said there is a cast in the Stapleton Reading Room at the Shiffman Medical Library at Wayne State University. The building was dedicated September 24, 1970 and the plaque was dedicated April 18, 1973. Stapleton was a Family Physician, a professor of Medical Jurisprudence and a Historian. It was comissioned by Wayne State University. The plaque is mounted on Minnesota Sunset red granite."

Molly Barth copy:
The last portrait relief is of William Stapleton. He was a good friend of Fredericks also. A bronze cast is located inside the Shiffman Library, Medical Library at Wayne State University. The relief above the display case is the Eaton War Memorial Eagle. That was made for the Eaton Manufacturing Company in Ohio. They had divisions throughout Ohio and Michigan. This was done in memorial to "The men and women of this organization who gave their lives for their country." The main branch of the company had the eagle, plus a list of the men who had given their lives for their country. All their names were carved into a marble wall. The eagle was also cast in bronze for the Saginaw division of the Eaton Manufacturing Company.

Files

1991.096.jpg

Citation

Fredericks, Marshall M., 1908-1998, “William John Stapleton, Jr., M.D. [Plaster],” Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum, accessed July 15, 2024, https://omeka.svsu.edu/items/show/5140.