Rebild National Park Society, Log Cabin [Plaster]

Dublin Core

Title

Rebild National Park Society, Log Cabin [Plaster]

Subject

Figure sculpture, American--20th century

Description

REBILD NATIONAL PARK SOCIETY MEDALLION, 1972
Plaster original

Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Marshall M. Fredericks
Reverse of medallion - Lincoln log cabin
1991.098
Obverse of medallion - American eagle and the Danish crest
1991.097

Rebild National Park is on land purchased by a group of Americans of Danish descent in 1911 and deeded to the Danish government in 1912. The Rebild National Park Society was formed to arrange for and conduct a festival each year on the Fourth of July. Denmark is the only other country which celebrates American Independence Day. Their annual celebration is larger than any one held in the United States. Fredericks had been the Royal Danish Consul for the State of Michigan since 1964. He was also a member of the Board of Directors of the Rebild National Park Society. In honor of the Society's sixtieth anniversary he donated the designs and models for this medallion as a means of obtaining a continuing source of income for the society. The museum display case on the wall under the Eaton War memorial Eagle once displayed casts of this medallion in bronze, silver and gold as well as the die, mold and plaster cast used to produce them. (The case display was removed in 2002.) On the obverse of the medallion is the Danish coat of arms and the American eagle. Circling these are the following words in Danish: "Dedicated to the Danish and American people to eternal friendship." On the reverse is the Lincoln Log Cabin and a profile of President Lincoln. At the park there is a replica of the Lincoln Log Cabin which houses a museum.

Creator

Fredericks, Marshall M., 1908-1998

Date

1972

Rights

Use of this image requires permission from the Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum

Type

Sculpture

Coverage

University Center (Mich.)

Sculpture Item Type Metadata

Physical Dimensions

23" dia

Materials

Plaster

Catalog Number

1991.097

Object Location

Main Exhibit Gallery

Provenance

1989 March, 22 Gift to Museum and SVSU Board of Control

Notes

From Jennifer Lentz (Collection Documentation Intern 1991-1992)
From a Memo dated March 25, 1992
RE: Conversation with Mr. Fredericks about the history of several works in the gallery

"William John Stapleton, Jr., M.D.-- Molly said there is a cast in the Stapleton Reading Room at the Shiffman Medical Library at Wayne State University. The building was dedicated September 24, 1970 and the plaque was dedicated April 18, 1973. Stapleton was a Family Physician, a professor of Medical Jurisprudence and a Historian. It was comissioned by Wayne State University. The plaque is mounted on Minnesota Sunset red granite."

Molly Barth copy:
The last portrait relief is of William Stapleton. He was a good friend of Fredericks also. A bronze cast is located inside the Shiffman Library, Medical Library at Wayne State University. The relief above the display case is the Eaton War Memorial Eagle. That was made for the Eaton Manufacturing Company in Ohio. They had divisions throughout Ohio and Michigan. This was done in memorial to "The men and women of this organization who gave their lives for their country." The main branch of the company had the eagle, plus a list of the men who had given their lives for their country. All their names were carved into a marble wall. The eagle was also cast in bronze for the Saginaw division of the Eaton Manufacturing Company.

Files

1991.097.jpg

Citation

Fredericks, Marshall M., 1908-1998, “Rebild National Park Society, Log Cabin [Plaster],” Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum, accessed June 25, 2024, https://omeka.svsu.edu/items/show/5141.