Show Menu

Detroit Civic Center

Dublin Core

Title

Detroit Civic Center

Subject

Fredericks, Marshall M., 1908-1998
Public sculpture, American
Relief (Art)

Description

The Ford Empire relief was located in the Ford Auditorium constructed on the Detroit riverfront as the new home of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra during 1955-1956. Perhaps the most notable feature of the building's interior was the expansive, curvilinear lobby adorned with some of Marshall Fredericks' most delicate and refined sculptures.

A 145-feet long filigreed metal mural, The Ford Empire, swept almost the entire length of the curved outer wall. On the balcony walls at either end of the foyer stood polished metal theatrical groupings of circus performers, musicians, harlequins, and dancers. Formed from literally thousands of pieces of copper, nickel, brass, stainless steel, and aluminum and plated with gold, zinc, and cadmium these pieces were hand-shaped, joined, plated, and polished.

Creator

Unidentified photographer

Source

Marshall M. Fredericks Papers.
Series II, Box 13, Folder 9

Date

undated

Contributor

Edward A. Eichstedt, Landscape architect
Crane, Kiehler and Kellogg, Architects
O'Dell, Hewlett and Luckenbach, Architects

Rights

Use of this image requires permission from the Marshall M. Fredericks Archives.

Relation

II-13-09

Format

image/jpeg

Language

eng

Type

Image

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Black and white print.

Physical Dimensions

8" x 10"

Social Bookmarking

Item Relations

This item has no relations.