Show Menu

Close-up of "Circus Parade" for the Henry and Edsel Ford Auditorium

Item #8059.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Close-up of "Circus Parade" for the Henry and Edsel Ford Auditorium

Subject

Clowns in art
Fredericks, Marshall M., 1908-1998
Public sculpture, American
Relief (Art)

Description

The Ford Empire relief was located in the Ford Auditorium constructed on the Detroit riverfront as the new home of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra during 1955-1956. Perhaps the most notable feature of the building's interior was the expansive, curvilinear lobby adorned with some of Marshall Fredericks' most delicate and refined sculptures.

A 145-feet long filigreed metal mural, The Ford Empire, swept almost the entire length of the curved outer wall. On the balcony walls at either end of the foyer stood polished metal theatrical groupings of circus performers, musicians, harlequins, and dancers. Formed from literally thousands of pieces of copper, nickel, brass, stainless steel, and aluminum and plated with gold, zinc, and cadmium these pieces were hand-shaped, joined, plated, and polished.

Source

Marshall M. Fredericks Papers
Series II, Box 10, Folder 9

Date

n.d.

Rights

Use of this image requires permission from the Marshall M. Fredericks Archives.

Relation

II-10-09

Format

image/jpeg

Type

Image

Coverage

Detroit (Mich.)

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Black and white print

Physical Dimensions

5" x 7"

Social Bookmarking

Item Relations

This item has no relations.