Show Menu

Wayne County Seal, Relief, [Plaster]

1999019.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Wayne County Seal, Relief, [Plaster]

Subject

Figure sculpture, American--20th century

Description

The event depicted on the seal is the signing of the peace treaty between Chief Pontiac (Ottawa) and Brig. General Anthony Wayne in 1796. Between the men stands a flag with stars in the middle. The treaty opened the land to be settled into what is now the city of Detroit. Included on the medallion are the phrases "Seal of the County of Wayne Michigan 1796", "We Produce", "We Defend", "Freedom of Man"' and "In God We Trust". The county was named for General Wayne.

The bronze Seal of Wayne County hangs in the office of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center in Detroit. It is also mounted above the Spirit of Detroit sculpture at the same location.

According to the Joy Colby 1981 interview with Marshall Fredericks, he created this seal because there was no seal for the county when he designed the Spirit of Detroit.

Creator

Fredericks, Marshall M., 1908-1998

Date

1955

Rights

Use of this image requires permission from the Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum

Type

Sculpture

Coverage

University Center (Mich.)

Sculpture Item Type Metadata

Physical Dimensions

32" dia

Materials

Plaster

Catalog Number

1999.019

Object Location

Storage Room B - L

Provenance

6/1/06 - 1/19/07 "Marshall M. Fredericks: Works from the Collection" MFSM, University Center, MI

10/25/1999 gifted to MFSM

Social Bookmarking

Item Relations

This item has no relations.