Show Menu

Front view of nickel "Mercury"

Dublin Core

Title

Front view of nickel "Mercury"

Subject

Ford Motor Company. Mercury Division
Fredericks, Marshall M., 1908-1998
Mercury (Roman deity)--Art.

Description

The Roman god Mercury was a messenger for the gods and patron of racing and athletes. His special duty was to conduct the souls of the dead to the underworld. In time he also became the Roman god of commerce and merchants. His attributes were winged sandals, a winged cap or petasus and the caduceus, a winged staff with two serpents coiled around it.

The Mercury Division of the Ford Motor Company commissioned this sculpture in 1959 to promote the 1960 Mercury. Cast in nickel, Ford Motor Company used the sculpture for advertising. The polished nickel Mercury sculptures are located at the Benson Ford Research Center on the campus of The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan.

Source

Marshall M. Fredericks Papers
Series V, Box 16 Folder 25

Date

n.d.

Rights

Use of this image requires permission from the Marshall M. Fredericks Archives.

Relation

V-16-25

Format

image/jpeg

Type

Image

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Color polaroid print

Physical Dimensions

3.5" x 5"

Social Bookmarking

Item Relations

This item has no relations.