Show Menu

Study for relief at Henry and Edsel Ford Auditorium - "Harlequin with Concertina"

Item #1702.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Study for relief at Henry and Edsel Ford Auditorium - "Harlequin with Concertina"

Subject

Clowns in art
Fredericks, Marshall M., 1908-1998
Public sculpture, American
Relief (Art)

Description

Conte crayon on board

The Ford Empire relief was located in the Ford Auditorium constructed on the Detroit riverfront as the new home of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra during 1955-1956. Perhaps the most notable feature of the building's interior was the expansive, curvilinear lobby adorned with some of Marshall Fredericks' most delicate and refined sculptures.

A 145-feet long filigreed metal mural, The Ford Empire, swept almost the entire length of the curved outer wall. On the balcony walls at either end of the foyer stood polished metal theatrical groupings of circus performers, musicians, harlequins, and dancers. Formed from literally thousands of pieces of copper, nickel, brass, stainless steel, and aluminum and plated with gold, zinc, and cadmium these pieces were hand-shaped, joined, plated, and polished.

Source

Marshall M. Fredericks Papers
Series V, Box 11 Folder 30

Date

n.d.

Rights

Use of this image requires permission from the Marshall M. Fredericks Archives.

Relation

V-11-30

Format

image/jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

DX-8

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Black and white print

Physical Dimensions

8" x 10"

Social Bookmarking

Item Relations

This item has no relations.