Show Menu

Items tagged "The Spirit of Detroit": 173

The Spirit of Detroit aboard the ocean liner
Thomas Schulte for its journey to Detroit.

The erection of The Spirit of Detroit at the City-County Building (now Coleman A. Young Municipal Center) in 1958 marked the formal completion of the structure whose construction began in 1951. Located in front of a white marble wall at the entrance to the building, the sculpture depicts the cultural and religious spirit of the Detroit community.…

The Spirit of Detroit is loaded onto the ocean liner Thomas Schulte in Oslo, Norway for its journey across the Atlantic Ocean and up the St. Lawrence Seaway to Detroit

The erection of The Spirit of Detroit at the City-County Building (now Coleman A. Young Municipal Center) in 1958 marked the formal completion of the structure whose construction began in 1951. Located in front of a white marble wall at the entrance to the building, the sculpture depicts the cultural and religious spirit of the Detroit community.…

Workers wrap The Spirit of Detroit in
preparation for its voyage to Detroit

The erection of The Spirit of Detroit at the City-County Building (now Coleman A. Young Municipal Center) in 1958 marked the formal completion of the structure whose construction began in 1951. Located in front of a white marble wall at the entrance to the building, the sculpture depicts the cultural and religious spirit of the Detroit community.…

The green patina is applied to "The Spirit of Detroit"
in Oslo, Norway

The erection of The Spirit of Detroit at the City-County Building (now Coleman A. Young Municipal Center) in 1958 marked the formal completion of the structure whose construction began in 1951. Located in front of a white marble wall at the entrance to the building, the sculpture depicts the cultural and religious spirit of the Detroit community.…

Marshall Fredericks poses with the full-scale plaster model of "The Spirit of Detroit" in Oslo, Norway

The erection of The Spirit of Detroit at the City-County Building (now Coleman A. Young Municipal Center) in 1958 marked the formal completion of the structure whose construction began in 1951. Located in front of a white marble wall at the entrance to the building, the sculpture depicts the cultural and religious spirit of the Detroit community.…

"The Spirit of Detroit" dedication program

"The Spirit of Detroit" was dedicated on September 23, 1958 in front of a crowd of more than 1,000 people.

The night 2 statues gave Detroiters a reason to smile

One night in the Spring of 1965, local pranksters used latex paint and wood and foam-rubber cutouts to create giant green footprints leading from The Spirit of Detroit to Step of the Dance, a nude female sculpture by Italian sculptor Giacomo Manzu, located directly across the street at the One Woodward building.

Presentation to the President

Detroit, Sept 23 -- A PRESENTATION TO THE PRESIDENT -- President Nixon is presented a small replica of the "Spirit of Detroit" [sic] by Detroit's mayor Roman Gribbs, as the president arrived in Detroit late Thursday to address the Economic Club. The "Spirit of Detroit" [sic] is a large statue at the entrance of the City-County building in Detroit.

Study for "The Spirit of Detroit"

Graphite on tracing paper
11" x 14"

The erection of The Spirit of Detroit at the City-County Building (now Coleman A. Young Municipal Center) in 1958 marked the formal completion of the structure whose construction began in 1951. Located in front of a white marble wall at the entrance to the building, the sculpture depicts the cultural and…

Study for "The Spirit of Detroit"

Graphite on tracing paper
11' x 14"

The erection of The Spirit of Detroit at the City-County Building (now Coleman A. Young Municipal Center) in 1958 marked the formal completion of the structure whose construction began in 1951. Located in front of a white marble wall at the entrance to the building, the sculpture depicts the cultural and…