Show Menu

Browse Items: 13

Study for "George and Ellen Booth Founders Medallion"

Conté crayon on construction paper with tracing paper overlay
11.25" x 9"

Minted in bronze, diameter 3 inches. (Full-scale relief, bronze, diameter 21 inches, George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth Memorial, Cranbrook Institute of Science, 1950)

Face: Inscription, "George Gough Booth - Ellen Scripps Booth," with their portrait…

Study for "George and Ellen Booth Founders Medallion"

Conté crayon on construction paper
12" x 9"

Minted in bronze, diameter 3 inches. (Full-scale relief, bronze, diameter 21 inches, George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth Memorial, Cranbrook Institute of Science, 1950)

Face: Inscription, "George Gough Booth - Ellen Scripps Booth," with their portrait reliefs

Reverse: Inscription,…

Study for Detroit Public Library proposal depicting entrance to Public Catalog Room/Cass Avenue Concourse

Graphite drawing on paper mounted on photostatic copy
9.5" x 12"

Study for Detroit Public Library proposal. Possibly unrealized.

Study for "Eaton War Memorial Eagle"

Pencil on paper
12" x 17.75"

The Eaton Manufacturing Company in Cleveland, Ohio commissioned this memorial in honor of the employees who died in World War II. A marble wall inscribed with the names of those employees who gave their lives for their country holds the bronze relief.

The eagle is the most prominent element. The simplified…

Study for "The Spirit of Detroit"

Graphite on tracing paper
16.5" x 13.75"

The erection of The Spirit of Detroit at the City-County Building (now Coleman A. Young Municipal Center) in 1958 marked the formal completion of the structure whose construction began in 1951. Located in front of a white marble wall at the entrance to the building, the sculpture depicts the cultural and…

Study for "The Spirit of Detroit"

Graphite on tracing paper
14.375" x 14.75"

The erection of The Spirit of Detroit at the City-County Building (now Coleman A. Young Municipal Center) in 1958 marked the formal completion of the structure whose construction began in 1951. Located in front of a white marble wall at the entrance to the building, the sculpture depicts the cultural…

Study for relief at Henry and Edsel Ford Auditorium - "Harlequin with Concertina"

Conte crayon on board

The Ford Empire relief was located in the Ford Auditorium constructed on the Detroit riverfront as the new home of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra during 1955-1956. Perhaps the most notable feature of the building's interior was the expansive, curvilinear lobby adorned with some of Marshall Fredericks' most delicate and…

"Eve"

Bronze figure of "Eve" holding an apple. Study for "Two Sisters (Mother and Child)," gilt bronze, 19 inches.

Awarded the David B. Werbe Purchase Prize at the 1946 "Annual Exhibition for Michigan Artists," Detroit Institute of Arts.